Friday, January 23, 2009

A fine fledgling farm

There is good news and there is other news...

Good news. The seed companies have all confirmed shipping dates and some have even arrived. Many thanks to Ronniger Potato for the fine Norhkota variety that they sent me! I received them within days and all in beautiful state and ready for 'chitting'. I will plant a little late this year in keeping with the Almanac but have been able to spend the extra time on the bed preparations. I have been using a method known as the W,O,R,D system. Wide rows, organic nature, and Real Deep:) Kind of...
Also, thanks to Seed Savers and Baker Creek for the quick service in getting out a rather good variety of my choices. I will keep you posted with the garden updates.

Bad News: I am not much of a bunny farmer... All our kits (baby rabbits) died. Most were able to keep sneaking out of their cages and later found by either my pit- bull, or my American Bulldog. The A.B. is a Champion Hog dog with over 50 catches recorded between 224lbs. and 278lbs but he likes rabbit even more than hogs! The Pit has learned to stay away from them as she has been raised as my daughters guardian and is very obedient despite her taste for bunny.

Entirely my fault. I was not able to purchase the needed supplies to make a smaller wire cage for them while still young, and they did what all baby bunnies do. They escaped.
I have rebred both my females and expect to start over in a month. These creatures were so obviously designed as a food source and I look forward to finally bringing some to table.

The chickens have stopped laying also. Not good. This is a primary food source for us, and with my being injured since August with no income, we just couldn't buy any new birds this year. We pray though. And we trust in the Lord to prosper our efforts in the long-term.
Bob

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bob --
Just had to say that we use the WORD system too! Do you have Ed Smith's book (The Vegetable Gardener's B-i-b-l-e...I always feel funny with titles like that) We've also used J. Jeavons book (How to grow More Vegetables). That's a good one too (french biointensive methods).
Do your chickens usually lay all year round down there? We don't have chickens (yet) but are hoping that God will bless us with some land (and some chickens!) soon.

Blessings.
Tina

Abigail said...

Tina,
Yes I have Ed's book and really like it. I don't have the other book yet but have read a bit on the method. Same ideas from what I gather and I think it will be a good garden this year. I am planning a post soon that will go into more detail and why we like it a little better than the Square foot method we used in the past.
As for the chickens, they usually lay year round but it has been a litter cooler than normal here this year with a small stretch (2 weeks) close to the mid 20's. We use an open coop design (walls of wire) because the heat is a much larger factor. I ran out of layer feed at the same time the cold hit and we don't produce feed yet..(this year we plan to) so it was a combo effect. They are great to have around and I hope you are able to get some. I am planning on emailing Caleb this week when I get a chance.
Bob