Monday, February 2, 2009

Calling All C.onfessional A.grarian R.eformers

When I began this little diary it was meant to be a journal of efforts toward stewardship and agrarian themes from a distinctively Christian perspective. I have been encouraged and enlightened by the writings of many others who have seen a need for the Church to re-think her role in the modern age of Industrialism and Consumerism. The many voices of this movement have caused some within the Church to look again at the political-social-environmental-economic models that we have followed and consider anew where, if at all, these areas fit in to Holy Scripture. Along the way, there has been a wide array of folks that espoused varying reasons and doctrines as the only 'real' basis of underlying philosophy for a lasting movement. Some see Agrarianism as the only real national security system that a country has. For them, it is a duty to revitalize the small family farm and establish locally grown co-ops, to ensure that individual communities are able to stave off the effects of an ever growing Federalism of local governments. Others have prefaced their belief in Agrarianism by the duty to protect the limited natural resources of the Earth, they see a 'dominion' mandate that is closely linked to the soil and our care for it. If we surveyed the whole of the movement, we would find quite a diversity in motivational causes for choosing a 'more deliberate' existence. From those who simply want to slow down the pace of things in remembrance of simpler times, to some who feel that time has run out, and that the apocalyptic days of the Bible are upon us. People from every walk of life are quitting their jobs and trading their patch of concrete for a 'hobby farm' in the most remote places they can find. There are even groups out there that have begun to build 'intentional communities' for like-minded travelers to get out of the decaying behemoth that they see around them!

The Agrarian Age has come!

Well, O.K. , ...that may be a little hopeful, not to mention a little revisionist historically, but it is easy to see that this thing is catching on again in many circles of Christendom. People are waking up to the fact that there is something wrong with the modern world and the unrelenting push that reduces the meaning of life to a measurable unit of production. Much good is coming from the renewed affections of men who want more 'meaning' to their daily existence than the god of this world has given to them. I am one of those men who have seen that there is more to life than riches, or the pursuit of worldly gain and I am thankful to the Lord that he has shown me this truth. I am also grateful for the writings of many others who have helped to shed more light on the movement of agrarianism. These people have shared their knowledge of hard-earned skills, and opened their methods of living to those greenhorns like myself. Most have done it freely, and with good intentions to see others grow and realize life's potential more. They are well versed in this area and have strong opinions brought about by the hard realities that they have accepted along with this lifestyle. They are rugged, and intelligent folk who aren't afraid to engage in defending the 'agrarian model'. I am trying to find my way among them as I contemplate their presuppositions. With all the variance of ideas and philosophies, it is difficult to establish a systematized 'theology of agrarianism'. I am not even sure if it is possible. I know that there are some who are attempting this. I know of one who shall remain nameless. ( Hint: his name rhymes with Dunker, and his theology does too ;).Primarily, because to challenge him, would be the death knell of a would be agrarian fledgling like myself. Secondly, because even though I am in much disagreement with the presuppositional view that he holds of scripture, and therefore of agrarianism itself, I find him to be a very good source of knowledge. he has written much and he is an elder, therefore he deserves the respect of both accomplishment and rank. And for those who are devoted disciples, please don't misinterpret what I am saying to be a challenge! He has a discussion forum for theological debate that I plan on joining soon to discuss these things in a Christ-like manner. It is just that I am concerned about having a solid exegesis of the scriptures and a good creedal position to help gauge heresy by. There are a lot of ideas being flung out there concerning the scriptures, ( not necessarily by the brother mentioned), and there are folks like me moving into the discussion daily. In my short term as a follower of various christian 'homesteader' blogs, I have encountered some statements of questionable doctrine. I am hoping to better understand some of these statements before simply accepting them. My eventual goal would be to work along side of someone to write a 'confessional' view of the agrarian lifestyle. I am hoping that someone else is seeing the need for this. While, there are some opposing views out there, I think that the example of the 3 Forms of Unity produced during the Reformation is a good model that would allow some level of unity while limiting the tendency to develop heretical teaching. I know this is a little to 'institutional', or denominational for some. But surely, there is someone else out there that believes agrarianism is a valid way of life and also grasps the need to make sure that it is understood through the lens of the reformed faith. Maybe there is some great writing on agrarianism from an orthodox, reformed perspective out there and I am just missing it. Maybe we need one before we miss out... Not all of us 'reformers' believe that we can wait and hope the 'post-mil' crowd is right. It just ain't confessional;/

6 comments:

Missouri Rev said...

Greetings Pilgrim Pundit from the Rural Missourian. Great blog! I have enjoyed what I have read. I concur that a reformed agrarian catechism ought to be written, but I am not sure that it would become just another “reformed” catechism. I have preached a lot on biblical agrarianism from a reformed perspective and we have undertaken to establish Christian agrarian community in applying what we learned. Perhaps if the catechism was taught in the context of Christian community where those being catechized could also be apprenticed in the various vocations of the rural agrarian life, it would truly hit home. Unless our children can be gripped with the same vision and also given a real stake in their future in belonging to a community that is truly stewarding the Lord’s land with a true postmillennial viewpoint, "reformed agrarianism” will likely become another reformed fad. Keep up the good work.

Abigail said...

Missouri Rev,
Greetings to you as well, from the land of sand and Palmetto bugs! I am very happy that you enjoy my blog. I have been reading yours for some time and always love to hear how things are coming in Rayville. I wrote you a while back about info into your little group and then changed ISP's a week or so later. I apologize for not getting back sooner. We have prayed for you during some of your 'trials by fire'. We are glad that God has put it on a Minister's heart to write a confession on Agrarianism ;}! We will be anticipating the first printing! As far as I know...you are it. I have looked for some of the 'names' to address the issue, but have not found it yet. Although, I am pretty sure that either Scott, or Herrick recently mentioned that an upcoming stident at some reformed seminary was planning his thesis along these lines. Whenever I try and broach the subject in my 'camp' it has not gotten very far. I am not an Elder yet, but have been encouraged to consider this as soon as my situation changes and I can demonstrate a bit of financial stability. I am trying to submit in this area and am praying that my healing would come soon to allow me acceptance into that capacity if God wills it. Until then, the best I can do is add my voice. And grow a few rabbits and bees in the mean time! I think that you are right on target with incorporating the idea of covenant continuity into the mix. It really seems to be the missing piece. This would allow a real foray into some of the centers of learning. Right now, they are all telling me that agrarianism isn't even an acceptable biblical model. Very discouraging. That leaves a very limited field of reference for the newcomers to our movement. I really feel like it is the time. If we miss this opportunity to establish a 'distintively reformed' understanding the only witness left will give more anti-agrarian fodder to those who disagree with us. Which as far as I can tell, is the whole reformed church! Thanks for lettin' me get that out. I look forward to your thoughts. God bless and keep you, and the saints of God in Rayville.
P.P.

Abigail said...

P.S.
Meant to say, "glad God has put it on your heart to write a CATECHISM"... The Confessional addendum can wait a year or two...

Bethany W. said...

Bob,
Another great post. My prayers (and Paul's) are that we can be agrarian some day! We would love to see more Reformed Agrarians. I love reading the blogs by Biblical Agrarians, especially because blog is a little different. It really seems that God is drawing people back to "the old ways!" And, that excites me! I enjoy your blog! And, I have enjoyed the links you included in the blog roll!

By the way, (off topic here) what would you suggest for a poor family that has ground water in the well? Our cold water is completely unusable and smells like sewage (we have cows nearby.) Any ideas?

Bethany

Abigail said...

Bethany,
I would need to know how deep your well is. I am assuming that it is a shallow well since you say that ground water is in it. There are many things to check to narrow the cause down. Plumbing is a lot like being a doctor, ( I like to flatter myself :), you really have to run through the most likely causes and start eliminating them one by one in some of the harder cases...like this one. The problem with having a plumber come out to do this is that they CHARGE like doctors too! I suggest the following as helps to narrow it down:
1. Check the covering of the well casing. If it is low to the ground, or just under the dirt, and IF it lets water (contaminate) into the casing, this can foul your water source. Remedy, have a plumber or well man come and replace the cap. Not a job for the do it yourself type... The bolts will break off in about 50% of the cases and that is trouble unless you can tap and drill new threads in metal.
2. Check for the exact cause of contaminant by a water test. Many of the water quality out-fits will come out and do a test to determine the exact cause or type of bacteria/contaminant. This is usually a FREE service 'cause they want to sell you their gizmos at HUGE mark-ups. Make sure you get the results and that may help us fix it. You want the results from his test, not just the usual, "Yep, you have bad water" stuff. He will give them to you.
3.There are two reasons that is is only the cold water that is unusable. First, the bad news... Much of the 'stuff', whatever it is, will be settling in your water heater, which is acting like a giant septic tank, (sorry). And secondly, the good news...maybe.., The process of heating the water could be killing off the bad stuff. This means that you MAY be able to get rid of the majority of your problem with the same method. I know that boiling all your water doesn't sound to appealing, but that is what we poor folk do. Many people do this regularly because they cannot afford to fix it. There are even home distilation kits that make this a 'fancy' and easier to certify method.
4. You can try to chlorinate the well, but I think I remember that you don't like chlorine. This is a good method to cure the problem if it is not recurring from an outside source.
We had a friend from church whose pond overflowed a few years back, and was able to chlorinate for 12 weeks to fix it.
I hope this helps some, let me know the particulars (depth, how many cows, how close are they,etc.) Also, dont forget the water heater, it will need to be flushed when this is solved. I can explain that if needed.
I am glad you enjoy the blog. It has been great finding fellowship through it.

Anonymous said...

Hi Bob,
Even though I'm struggling to understand everything you said, I really liked this blog! Does that sound odd? Caleb and I are looking forward to delving into Reformed theology -- he'll certainly have the time on his hands soon enough to do it! Thanks for all your encouragement in that area. We haven't been on the "blogging" world for a few days because things have been so busy. Thanks for your prayers and looking forward to (Lord willing) one day meeting you all! We pray that the Lord will continue to heal your back.
Tina