Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Dudley Farm

Well, here are a few more pics of our recent trip to Dudley Farm.


This is the front of the tobacco barn just as it stood back then. The metal roffing has been replaced and some of the wood has been repaired over the years, but the stone foundation is still as solid and square as they laid it.

These are a few of the tools used in the harvest and drying process. Don't really know what they were used for. The cones that are hanging there remind me of the killing cones that I have for my ckickens! A liitle long for poultry though...
This is a front view of the little potting shed/cooling shed that sits in the front yard. Not really a root cellar but still effective. There is a LARGE sweet potato cellar on the other side of the farm that I will be copying on my property soon, Lord willing, but on a much smaller scale. This building is dug about 3 feet deep and holds most of the potting stuff that the small staff here use to keep things running.

This is a partial shot inside the shed that shows the 'equiptment'. The staff here use only the tools and implements that would have been available to the original family. They even dress in period clothing while at work. It is kind of funny because every time we visit someone will come up and begin to question my family as though we were part of the 'skit'! The staff will even ask us if their understanding of 'real' farm life is accurate! LOL...


Here is the great 'machine' that I mentioned in the previous post. This is a universal implement in almost every 'old-time' farmstead that we have visited. My wife is a huge fan of Tasha Tudor and we often admire the beautiful farm that her son Seth built her.There is a beutiful shot of Tasha trimming out a few cedar shakes for her roof in the book about her life. If you ever get a chance to see it you will be amazed to see a lady her age whipping out her own construction material like it was easy! About 3 minutes into a little test of the one pictured here was enough to give me a healthy respect for the job.

Stay tuned for some more of Dudley Farm! There is still the wash shed, outhouse complete with 'trimmings', the wash area , and my wife's favorite, the outdoor kitchen/dining room!
Until then...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe the cones are used for packing tobacco. I am only guessing here, but in the south, pipe tobacco was made first by curing the leaf which, then slicing it up into thin slices. Then packing it tightly in a log of some kind. Here the tobacco aged and fermented until it was ready. Then it is taken out of the log, added a 'dressing' and aged a bit longer, then sold.

So I assume they were used in the fermentation process of tobacco.

Abigail said...

Thanks for the information. I am going back next week and I will be taking a guided tour that will allow some research. I am not into tobacco farming but it is very interesting to learn about the way these hard working folks live.
BTW, you have a great blog and I am enjoying reading the archives.
Bob